Custom Air Brush Tanning
Preparing for Your Appointment (Day Before Appointment):
- Exfoliate your skin. This is one of the most important steps in preparing for your spray tan and we cannot stress it enough. Exfoliating your skin the day before your appointment will help to remove dry, dead skin cells making for a nice even application of the spray tan solution. We recommend using Ambersun Moisturizing Body Scrub which is available for purchase at Mango Bay.
- Any waxing or shaving should be done the day before your appointment.
- Avoid using bar soaps or other shower products that have a high pH. Using these products can dry out the skin as well as neutralize the effect of the ingredients in the spray tan solution.
Preparing for Your Appointment (Day of Appointment):
- Shower at least 1-2 hours prior to arriving.
- Remove all make-up prior to arriving.
- Do NOT wear deodorant to appointment.
- Do NOT do any shaving/waxing.
- Do NOT put any lotions, perfumes, oils on your skin before arriving.
- Do NOT use bar soaps when showering before your appointment.
- Wear Dark, loose fitting clothing to your appointment and bring flip flips or sandals to wear home.
After Your Appointment:
- Avoid Water for the first 6 -8 Hours! Showerin, bathing, swimming, pedicures, washing dishes, etc. is not recommended for the first 6-8 hours. If you chose to shower prior to the first 6-8 hours your tan may be more subtle in color.
Custom Air Brush Tanning FAQs
Q: How do Spray Tans work?
A: The main ingredient used in all spray tans or self tanners is dihydroxyacetone (DHA). DHA is a natural product that is derived from Sugar Cane and Beets. DHA works in the outer most layer of your skin by reacting with amino acids in your skin to create a darkening or browning of the skin.
Q: How long will my tan last?
A: On average, your tan will last approximately 5-7 days. The life of your tan is affected by your skin’s own natural exfoliation process. By following a good skin care regimen both before and after your spray tan, you can help extend the life of your tan and keep it to look its best.
Q: How long does it take for my tan to show up?
A: DHA is a clear ingredient and takes 16-24 hours to fully develop into a tan. However, the product we use for our custom airbrush sessions gives you immediate color from cosmetic bronzers. Over the course of the first 16-24 hours the DHA will replace the cosmetic bronzer revealing your tan. During your first shower (at least 6-8 hours after your session) you may notice some of the cosmetic bronzer washing off, this is natural and your tan will still be underneath.
Q: Will I be “orange”?
A: No. The orange color that sometimes happens when doing a spray tan is the result of a high pH level in the skin or by choosing a sunless solution that is too dark for your skin tone. After your spray tan consultant speaks with you on what your desired results are they will suggest a color they feel is right for you. You can also avoid the dreaded orange color by following the recommended skin care regimen prior to your appointment.
Q: Can I get a Spray tan while pregnant?
A: The solution we use for our Airbrush tans is a non-toxic food grade product and there have not been any detrimental effects for expectant mothers reported. However, Mango Bay does suggest you consult with your physician prior to making your appointment.
Q: Will a Spray tan help protect me from the sun?
A: No. The great tan you get from your custom air brush session at Mango Bay is cosmetic in nature. In other words, you will still need you use sunscreen if you plan on being out in the sun for an extended period of time or are traveling to a location where the sun may be more intense.